On 16 June 2022 the Russian Government Regulation No. 1552-r as of 14 June 2022 was published, which removes a number of restrictions on the entry of foreign citizens into Russia and makes it easier for them to obtain entry documents. In particular:
- Restrictions on entry to the Russian Federation are lifted for foreign citizens entering via air and sea checkpoints on the Russian border, irrespective of their citizenship. Appendix No. 1 to the Russian Government Regulation No. 635-r as of 16 March 2020 has lost force. The rules for the entry of foreign citizens via land checkpoints on the Russian border need to be verified separately.
- Restrictions on entry to Russia are lifted for citizens of the Republic of Uzbekistan entering Russia by passenger rail.
- Citizens of the Republic of Belarus are permitted to enter Russia from the territory of third states.
- Foreign citizens and stateless persons will be able to obtain all types of visas from diplomatic and consular missions of the Russian Federation abroad.
- The Ministry of Internal Affairs and its territorial bodies are to resume accepting documents required for the issue of Russian visa invitation letters for citizens of foreign states. Restrictions on electronic visas remain in place.
Russian entry restrictions for foreign citizens have been in place since 18 March 2020 in connection with the spread of the coronavirus infection.
We are continuing to monitor the situation and will let you know of any further developments in the law.